The Public-Private Partnership keeping Europe at the forefront of technology development.
Electronic components and systems (ECS) are a pervasive Key Enabling Technology, impacting all industrial branches and almost all aspects of life. A smartphone, a smart card, a smart energy grid, a smart city, even smart governance; everything “smart” is based on integrating semiconductor chips running embedded software. They provide the fabric on which the internet runs; they give life to portable phones and tablets; they drive driverless cars and trains, fly airliners, drones and satellites. In modern times, no national economy can win in the global competition without mastering this technology, with unparalleled systemic and strategic impact.
The ECSEL JU Objectives
- Contribute to the development of a strong and globally competitive electronics components and systems industry in the European Union;
- Ensure the availability of electronic components and systems for key markets and for addressing societal challenges, keeping Europe at the forefront of technology development, bridging the gap between research and exploitation, strengthening innovation capabilities and creating economic and employment growth in the Union;
- Align strategies with Member States to attract private investment;
- Maintain and grow semiconductor and smart system manufacturing capability in Europe;
- Secure and strengthen a commanding position in design and systems engineering;
- Provide access for all stakeholders to a world-class infrastructure for design and manufacturing;
- Build a dynamic ecosystem involving Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs), strengthening existing clusters and creating new clusters.
- the European Union (through the Commission);
- Member States and Associated Countries to the Framework Programme Horizon 2020 on a voluntary basis;
- Three associations (EPoSS, AENEAS and ARTEMIS Industry Association) representing the actors from the areas of micro- and nano-electronics, smart integrated systems and embedded/cyber-physical systems.